Can I Find A Good Woman In The Philippines? Learn from EXPAT MANUAL today
Bird Sanctuary and Mangrove Park (Bais City)
A 400-hectare protected mangrove forest which is a natural habitat and nesting place of birds and other wildlife. Accessible by boat and then a walk through a 5,968 bamboo-split boardwalk before reaching the park.
Regular cruises supervised by the Bais City Hall can take visitors out to Tañon Strait to view playful dolphins and pygmy sperm whales. Dolphin and whale watching activities are ideal between May and September. Spectacular underwater scenes reward snorkeling and diving.
Tañon Strait (Bais City)
Popular for dolphin and whale watching activities ideal from May to September when playful dolphins surface from their natural habitat to put up an acrobatic show for enthusiasts.
Camp Mapot and Mountain Park (Canlaon City)
Verdant plateau 5,000 feet above the sea level, first developed as a health camp; pine trees, streams, and hillside springs, some rare flora and fauna; temperature and scenery reminiscent of Baguio’s Mines View Park; part of Mt. Canlaon National Park, a favorite of nature trekkers.
One of the tallest peaks in the Visayas, the volcano raised Canlaon City’s skyline to 8,085 feet above sea level. A favorite spot of intrepid mountain climbers, the still active volcano can be accessed from Canlaon City, 165.7 km. from Dumaguete City.
Makawiwili Ridge (Canlaon City)
Also known as the “Saddle in the Sky,” the ridge is located between two mountain peaks 8,000 feet above sea level, and frequently used by scientists as a vantage point in observing the two craters of Canlaon Volcano.
Mayon Zigzag (Canlaon City)
Portion of highway from the junction of Barangay Bagawines where the road ascends in a zigzag, affording a changing panoramic view of the blue waters of Tañon Strait and the island of Cebu, and hugging the foothill dwelling of farmers that appear like toy houses surrounded by cornfields. The climb ends in Barangay Tagbino of Canlaon City.
Mt. Talinis (Valencia)
Negros Oriental’s prominent peaks, the Cuernos de Negros or Horns of Negror rise 5,095 feet above sea level and are situated 9 km. southwest of Valencia. Declared a geothermal reserve under the protection of the Philiipine National Oil Company. Regular climbs are arranged by the Cuernos de Negros Mountaineers based in Siliman University; nature lovers can enjoy the unspoiled scenery, Nailig and Yagunyum lakes, and the lush vegetation; mountaineers from all over the regiom come together for the annual climb in September in celebration of World Tourism Month.
Cayaso Cave (Mabinay)
An underground river located 1 km. from the poblacion Municipal Hall. Three km. long and 6 feet wide, the cave goes 20 feet down a winding stone pathway leading to an underground river of potable drinking water but without a visible outlet. Stalactites and stalagmites abound in different chambers.
Mabinay Caves (Mabinay)
Some 32 minor and major caves identified by a Dutch-Belgian expedition in 1990. Awe-inspiring limestone formations and underground rivers await spelunkers. Pandalihan and Panligawan are accessible on foot. Odloman is one of the longest caves in the country. Cave tours can be arranged with the Tirambulo Highland Resort n Paniabonan, Mabinay.
Veranda of the World (Zamboanguita)
Located in Salngan II; picnic and camping area with head-on view of the face of Mt. Talinis and mini terraces for trekking.
Zoo Paradise of the World (Zamboanguita)
Set in an ipil-ipil forested area; Fr. Eleuterio Tropa’s collection of live and stuffed wildlife, memorabilia, and ecological conservation action during his lifetime; located in the Salngan I camp grounds.
Pandalihan Cave (Mabinay)
Stalactites and stalagmites abound in this cave which is accessible by foot. Cave tours can be arranged with the Tirambulo Highland Resort in Paniabonan, Mabinay.
Baldwin Locomotive (Bais City)
Rests on memories of its heyday as dean of the hacienda workhorses. Central Azucarera de Bais was established in 1918 as the first sugar mill of Tabacalera in the Philippines.
Spanish Fortress (Ayungon)
Remains of a Spanish fortification on the shoreline of Tampocon II.
Central Azucarera de Bais (Bais City)
Established in 1918 by the Compania General de Tabacos de Filipinas SA, or Tabacalera, as its first sugar mill in the Philippines. CAB stimulated the growth of Negros Oriental’s sugar industry. In 1941, the Compania Cellulosa de Filipinas set up in CAB the first integrated pulp and paper factory in the world using the bagasse as raw and primary material in the manufacture of paper.
Balatong Point (Basay)
Also called Punta Tambungon by the locals, with rocks and large corals used as navigation landmarks. The biggest shipment of WWII ammunition for the Negros guerilla movement is said to have been unloaded here, now the favored dive site of many scuba enthusiasts.
Silliman University (Dumaguete City)
Comprising 35 hectares adjacent to downtown Dumaguete; declared a bird sanctuary; noted for its olden trees, cottage residences, and major buildings such as Guy Hall, Channon Hall, Oriental and Occidental Halls, which the Japanese occupation forces used for administrative and penal activities.
Looc Memorial Shrine (Sibulan)
Marks the site of the first WWII encounter in Negros Oriental, on October 11, 1942, when independent partisan guerilla groups joined forces.
Fil-Am-Jap Amity Shrine (Valencia)
A 3-sided pillar soars above a viewing deck on the Sagbang hilltop where Filipino, American, and Japanese soldiers clashed in a fierce encounter during WWII in Negros Oriental. Unveiled on April 2, 1977 by veterans and descendants of the war casualties, the shrine overlooks the panoramic sprawl of Dumaguete City, Sibulan and Bacong towns, and the neighboring islands of Cebu and Siquijor.
Spanish Fountain (Valencia)
Devised by an Augustinian friar to spout water channeled from a highland spring, the fountain is now the centerpiece of the sunken Valencia Municipal Plaza.
Cata-al War Memorabilia (Valencia)
Relics of the WWII encounter in Negros Oriental include Japanese and American materials and personal effects, preserved as part of the private collection of the Cata-al family in Valencia.